Seeding experimentation with teaching and learning
HILT offers funding opportunities for faculty, staff, and students to advance ideas related to teaching, learning, and education innovation. Our primary goal is to foster a community of innovation at Harvard.
Currently, HILT supports three mechanisms: HILT Spark Grants, HILT Pilot Funds, and the HIVE Pitch Competition. Read more about each of these opportunities below!
CURRENT FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES
Annual competition open to faculty, staff, and researchers at Harvard
Harvard benefits-eligible faculty, staff, and researchers are encouraged to apply for up to $15,000 in funding to research and/or develop teaching and learning innovations that benefit the Harvard community. The goal of this funding mechanism is to “spark” promising teaching and learning projects from idea to reality and to scale successful innovations University-wide.
- Up to $15K for teaching and learning innovations that directly benefit the Harvard community
- 2019 Funding Competition is closed
- 2020 Application opens February 2020
- 2020 Application closes March 2020
- Ideas must be generalizable (i.e., think about how someone at another Harvard school might benefit from learning about your work; how will your idea collectively help us improve teaching and learning at Harvard?)
Competition occurs over four rounds for Harvard students
Open to all students from all Harvard Schools, our Pilot Funds are offered in four rounds during the academic year. Students who have early-stage ideas for improving education broadly (at Harvard and/or beyond), can apply for up to $500 in each round to support the development of projects. The goal of this funding mechanism is to help students gain traction on ideas and to learn an innovator’s mindset.
- Up to $500 for student teams working on early-stage education innovation ideas
- Applicants must be on teams of at least 2 people that represent diversity in skill and background
- There are four application rounds for the 2018-2019 academic year are closed.
- 2019-2020 application round dates coming soon!
Annual competition open to all Harvard students
Student education innovation teams are eligible to receive $10,000 in prizes during a live pitch competition. Learn more about HILT’s collaboration with HIVE and more generally about the Harvard GSE Innovations and Ventures in Education student group.