RESOURCES ON THE SCIENCE OF LEARNING
2018 Conference Breakout Session Resources:
Advancing and Promoting Quality Teaching
- Frankl, S., et.al., “The Case-Based Collaborative Learning Peer Observation Worksheet and Compendium: An Evaluation Tool for Flipped Classroom Facilitators.” Association of American Medical Colleges. MedEdPORTAL Publications, 2017.
- Peer Observation Worksheet of Case-Based Collaborative Learning
- Peer Assessment of Medical Lecturing Instrument Facilitator’s Guide to Rating
- RAE Career Framework Brochure
- Session slides by Richard M. Schwartzstein, MD
- Session slides by Julia C. Lee
Harvard-developed Tools to Enhance Teaching and Learning
Improving Teaching by Studying Student Learning
- How to Start Thinking of a Problem and the Questions it Raises
- Gathering Evidence: Making Student Learning Visible
- Session slides by Henrike Besche, PhD
Simple Ways to Use the Science of Learning
- Handout of combined examples for 5 principles (Aim, Detect, Activate, Connect, Assess)
- Participant ideas generated in Google Docs
Simple Principles from the Science of Learning: Implications for the Art of Teaching. Chart distributed at 2018 Annual Conference.
Driver-Linn, E. “Some Evidence-based Principles of Student Learning: Implications for Best Teaching Practices.” Unpublished internal working document, summer 2008.
Moulton, S. T. “Applying Psychological Science to Higher Education: Key Findings and Open Questions.” Unpublished internal working document, April 16, 2014.
Books, Chapters, Articles:
Ambrose, S.A., et.al. How Learning Works: Seven Research-Based Principles for Smart Teaching. Jossey-Bass, 2010.
Bransford, J.D., et.al., eds. How People Learn: Brain, Mind, Experience and School, expanded edition. National Academy Press, 2000.
Kosslyn, S.M. “The Science of Learning: Mechanisms and Principles” In Kosslyn, S.M. and Nelson, B., eds. Building the Intentional University: Minerva and the Future of Higher Education (149-164). MIT Press, 2017.
Lang, J.M. “Small Changes in Teaching.” Chronicle of Higher Education, June 22, 2016.
—. Small Teaching: Everyday Lessons From the Science of Learning. Jossey-Bass, 2016.