Are you a Pilot Funds awardee? If so, this page is for you!
Congratulations! You have identified an education-related problem that you want to understand better or solution you want to validate or explore further. Now you can. This funding will help you get started. Here are a few tips as you begin:
Funding and reimbursement guidelines
While there are a wide range of uses that are acceptable for HILT funding, the following are not permitted: paying team members for their time, living expenses, alcohol, or costs not directly related to the proposed project. We strongly encourage you to use funds for things that you are not capable of doing yourself and, when possible, explore using resources within the Harvard community.
HOW TO TRACK YOUR RECEIPTS
All required forms can be found here. You will need to fill out the budget template, and provide digital copies of each receipt.
HOW TO SHARE YOUR FINANCIAL DOCUMENTS WITH HILT
- Each financial point person will receive a link to a shared google folder.
- Fill out the budget template. Make sure to include all requested information. Receipts are required for all transactions. If you are missing a receipt – please reach out to us.
- Complete Pilot Funds Impact Questionnaire (coming soon!)
- Upload to your google folder. Upload a completed budget form, all receipts, and completed impact questionnaire. Your team’s financial point person will be the only one who can access this folder.
- Email us. Once you have uploaded all required documentation – please send an email to HILT_Grants@harvard.edu notifying us that your reimbursement documents are complete and uploaded.
HILT will then examine your submission and follow up if anything needs to be updated. Your reimbursement will be sent to you in the form of a check. It will take up to 30 days from the time of processing.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Can I pay people to test my product?
- Yes! But it must be in gift card form so that there is a receipt.
- I’ve finished my purchases way before the reimbursement deadline, can I submit them now?
- Yes! We will do our best to have your reimbursement processed, however it may get delayed to line up with the deadline depending on how busy the finance people are.
- Can I upload my receipts as I go along?
- YES! We highly encourage this!
- I lost a receipt for something, is it possible to still be reimbursed?
- It is possible. Harvard requires a missing receipt form to be completed. With that said there are financial limits and requirements – so this will be addressed on a case by case basis
- As part of my project, it would be really helpful to host a convening/screening/meeting/etc, is this something you’ll pay for?
- Yes! We will reimburse for costs involved. We cannot reimburse for any alcohol purchases.
- I’ve put in a lot of time and effort to work on this project, can I pay myself for my work?
- Unfortunately, this grant is for furthering your project itself, not for paying yourself.
- I don’t have time to collect data, can I pay someone to do it?
- We’d prefer you use the money to do things you cannot actually do yourself. Use the money to wisely push your project further forward
- I am running out of time and I still have work I want to do – can I get a funding extension?
- Unfortunately, we can’t provide extensions. Instead, we encourage you to get as much done as you can in the time you have and to reapply for the next round of funding.